How can I resolve a warrant for unpaid traffic tickets from 14 yrs. ago? 5 Answers as of March 28, 2011

I currently live in Massachusetts. I have 14yr old unpaid traffic tickets that I never went to court for, and they issued an arrest warrant. I just moved here from New York where I have lived for the past 14 yrs and never heard a thing about it. All of the sudden this warrant is showing up now that I moved to Massachusetts. How can I resolve this so I am able to get a drivers license here?

You should retain an attorney in the city that you have the warrant so that he can surrender you, have the warrant withdrawn, and fight the ticket. You are still probably entitled to either request a trail on the violation or just pay the fine and then your warrant will be withdrawn, but the fact that you had a bench warrant in your past will still be on your record and may cause a judge to set a bail if you are ever arrested again.Your attorney may be able to hande the matter without your appearance using a waiver form if it is only a reaffic infraction, but sometimes the judge will require you to appear in person, with or without an attorney. You should never appear in court without an attorney, even for a traffic offense because the cost of the increased insurance will often be more than the fee that the attorney will require for one brief court appearance. You will often find that people who do not retain an attorney to handle traffic matters will somehow fail to appear or pay a fine and this will result in a license suspension, bench warrant, or points on their license. If you need a good attorney in the area you have the warrant feel free to call me and I can recommend one that will charge a reasonable fee.
Raiser & Kenniff, PC
Raiser & Kenniff, PC | Steve Raiser
You'll need to hire an attorney and return on the warrant. From there your attorney can likely handle the tickets without any further appearances by you.
Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
This is a common situation. We regularly get old tickets and warrants cleaned up many years later. All states share their DMV information with one another, so it is important to clean up tickets left over from where you once lived. You will need a lawyer to do it, but it can be cleaned up rather nicely, and then you will be able to get your driver's license in your home state.
Law Offices of Carl Spector
Law Offices of Carl Spector | Carl Spector
Go to court in the county in which the tickets were issued and get the warrant vacated and deal with the charges.
You should hire an attorney to vacate the warrant and take care of the tickets.