How can I remove obligations to pay child support? 20 Answers as of January 09, 2012

Is there a way to remove obligations to pay child support other than another person adopting the child? What ways can teenagers be forced to follow parenting plans when they decide they don't like something at one parent's house and want to stay at the others? Especially considering the other parent is telling the teenagers they don't have to follow the order?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
There are a few easy, but uncontrollable ways to remove obligations to pay child support, which include: 1) Your child reaching the age of 21. 2) Remarriage of the parent with physical custody of the child. 3) Significant change in income of the parent responsible for paying child support. That said, in New York State, the minimum you are required to pay for your child, regardless of your income or acts of the parent with physical custody, is $25.00 a month. This remains in effect until the child reaches the age of 21.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/9/2012
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
Modify the child support so nothing is due, if that's legally possible in your set of facts. Talk to a counselor about the teenager.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/9/2012
R. Mark Rose Attorney at Law | R. Mark Rose
You cannot stop paying court ordered support if your are the parent unless there is an adoption. As far as the other parenting question I suggest you contact an attorney to discuss your chances of modifying the parenting arrangement in court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/9/2012
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
File contempt against mom...but that doesn't terminate your child support payments.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 1/9/2012
Law Office of Jeffrey Murrell
Law Office of Jeffrey Murrell | Jeffrey L. Murrell
You'd have to file a motion with the Court on both issues.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 1/9/2012
    Bruning & Associates, PC
    Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
    Child support can be terminated in limited circumstances. For example, a severely disabled parent might not be required to pay child support. Child support may also terminate if a parent surrenders parental rights in favor of one who seeks to adopt the child. The law does provide that a child can be forced to visit with the non-custodial parent. A recent Illinois case prohibited a biological father from having visitation with his child because visitation was not in the best interest of the child. Further, proceedings to force visitation are often very lengthy preventing visitation as a practical matter for long periods of time. Sometimes, counseling with the child is a better option.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/9/2012
    H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
    A voluntary surrender of all your parental rights, if accepted by the court, might end your support obligation. Otherwise, you can file to have the amount modified downward.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/9/2012
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    So long as there is a valid court order to pay support you must do so. If you feel that the order should be changed you should consult a family law attorney or facilitator to assist you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/9/2012
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
    You need to return to court and have the court modify child support, IF there is a legal justification for that. Generally, however, adoption by someone else is the only basis to terminate child support obligation before the child is emancipated (age 19 in Colo). Teenagers who refuse to comply with a judge's order can be held in contempt just like anyone else. But, you need to bring the problem to the court's attention so that the judge can determine whether the other parent is contributing to the contempt or if some other remedy is necessary.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 1/9/2012
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    Two things come to mind. First, each parent has an obligation not to say negative things about the other such that the children are influenced. Second, the courts are somewhat lax about enforcing parenting plans with teens.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 1/9/2012
    Thomas P. Carnes, Attorney & Mediator | Thomas P. Carnes
    Teenagers are tough to make do anything they want you to do. If the other parent is alienating the child, your remedy is to go back to court with a modification action. There is, however, no connection between your possessory rights and your obligation to pay chil support. The law could not be clearer in that regard.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/9/2012
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    For good cause, like a lost job, child support obligations can be modified either temporarily or permanently. If a parent is permitting a child to do something which violates the parenting plan, a show cause order against the parent would be the cure. Please see a domestic relations attorney for more information.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/8/2012
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    There is no way to remove child support unless the person who pays has no income, the child is adopted, or the other parent has so much income that there would be no support. If the child does not want to go to one parents home, then it will depend on the age of the child. If this child is a teen around 15 or so, it might be really hard to get them to visit.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/8/2012
    Dunnings Law Firm
    Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
    You can't remove child support unless the child is adopted. If you have parenting time issues go through the Friend of the court.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/8/2012
    Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC
    Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC | Louis Leibowitz
    Obligations to pay child support can only be removed by filing for a modification with the court. If the Court ordered something, only the Court can change its own order. Generally, there must be a change in circumstances for a Court to agree to modify a child support order.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 1/8/2012
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
    Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
    Looks like 2 quit different question topics. (1) The parent entitled to receive support can stop accepting payment. If the Order is in the state system for Support Enforcement, a document can be submitted removing enforcement from the state system. However, a court will NOT simply vacate a support order eliminating the payment obligation without a justifiable legal basis. (2) File a Motion for Contempt against the other parent. A parent who encourages/empowers the child violate the court ordered Parenting Plan can and will be held in contempt by Washington judges.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/8/2012
    Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
    In Michigan, child support is a permanent obligation even if your parental rights are terminated. The issue regarding the teenager should be brought to the courts attention by way of a Petition seeking to hold the other parent in contempt of the courts order.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/8/2012
    The Law Offices of Jill Puertas LLC | Jill Puertas
    The termination of the obligation to pay child support is done by filing a Petition to Modify with the court. Child support automatically terminates upon the age of 18 if the child is not enrolled in secondary education and also terminates upon adoption or termination of parental rights. Child support can by modified for various reasons, including, but not limited to, "a substantial and continuing change in circumstances", such as loss of employment or changes in actual physical custody (more/less time). With regard to getting teens to follow the parenting plan, you can take the parent that is not following the rules to court for Contempt. Your parenting plan is a court order and requires parents to implement and comply therewith or else be punished by fine, imprisonment, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 1/8/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney