How can I relinquish the power of attorney? 1 Answers as of April 26, 2012

My father is incompetent and suffers from vascular dementia. I am his approved Power of Attorney. After I have applied for Medicaid and gotten him benefits I want to relinquish my Power of Attorney responsibilities. Who would then see to my father's financial, medical, etc. matters? There are no other family members willing to do so.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Faye Riva Cohen, P.C.
Law Office of Faye Riva Cohen, P.C. | Faye Riva Cohen
If your father is currently incompetent he can't complete a new power of attorney. You would have to apply for a guardianship through the legal system, and depending on whether he has assets, the court can name someone. You need to discuss his situation with an elder care lawyer, especially if he doesn't have assets, or if he is in a nursing home. Some states require support of a parent by a child/children.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/26/2012
Click to View More Answers: