How can I regain my parental rights? 2 Answers as of June 14, 2011

About year and half ago, me and my girlfriend were substance users, we had our kids removed. We joined family drug court. I ended up dropping out and they terminated my rights. I then moved to a different state and I want to live with my girlfriend and kids, what steps do I need to take?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
If your rights were actually terminated there are no rights to get back. Termination is permanent.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/14/2011
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
Are you sure your parental rights were terminated, as opposed to you just losing custodial rights? There is a difference. I am assuming that the "girlfriend" you reference as past and present are the same person and the mother of the child. Unfortunately, once parental rights are terminated, they cannot be restored. Unless there is a court order prohibiting, there shouldn't be any reason you can't live with your girlfriend and the children. One option to explore in a consultation with an attorney is the option of adopting the children, but under the current circumstances that is probably a longshot (you might have a better shot at adoption if you marry the mother).
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: