How can I re-establish a residency status? 2 Answers as of April 22, 2015

I got US residency in 1986 but I’ve been living in Mexico since 1989. I have a social security number. Did I lose my residency? Can I file papers so that I can get back to the US? Can someone go over my papers to fix them?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I don't know if this can be done or not. However let me tell you this, some people received green cards that did not have an expiration date. I don't know that 1986 green cards where without an expiration date. The best way to do this, will be to try and reenter the United States with your 1986 green card and see what you are told at the border. I believe you will be let in to the United States and if there are any issues, you will be required to deal with them once you are in the United States beat it before an immigration judge or otherwise.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
With very few exceptions, a Permanent Resident who moves to Mexico and lives there for a couple of decades will be deemed to have abandoned his/her residence in the U.S. and to have abandoned Permanent Resident status. In that event, it becomes necessary to start over with a new application process, assuming eligibility exists. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/22/2015
Click to View More Answers: