How can I re-enter the US with my green card? 3 Answers as of February 18, 2011

I'm 22 yrs. old and I have been here in the Philippines for almost 8 years. I was young when my mom had left me here. My passport was burned by her. I had no choice but to study here. When I have reached the right age I have tried so many ways to get back in the US, but still no luck. I still have my green card and it's still good up to 2013. What can I do to re-enter the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You will be seen as having abandoned your green card. You should hire a lawyer to work out a strategy for you. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/18/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Go to the embassy and request assistance.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/17/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Interesting case.

Two possibility: You can not return to the US with your green card. Basically, you residency was abandoned, through no fault of your own. The residency card (LPR card) is for people to reside in the US. When people no longer reside in the US, the card is taken away (Usually when attempting to re-enter the US).

But maybe one of your parent naturalized before your turned 18. If so, that might have made you a US citizen, again, through no fault of your own. If this is the case, grab your green card, your birth certificate, your parent's naturalization document and any documents to show anyone's change of name and apply for a US passport at the US Consulate in Manila.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: