How can I receive medical insurance if my ex was laid off and no longer holds a job? 13 Answers as of January 14, 2014

In our divorce, my ex was ordered to carry medical for my two children and myself. He was laid off or fired from his job and is no longer working and trying to receive disability. This leaves the children and me with no medical insurance. What can I do?

James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
If neither one of you are able to afford insurance then apply for Medi-cal.
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
If he no longer has the means to get insurance, may not be much you can do. You can seek to have him held in contempt for not providing it, but most language to that effect, says "if available through his work," thus a court may not hold in contempt since no longer available and thus, not willful.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
See if there is any COBRA coverage from his employer but it is expensive. Otherwise try FAMIS .
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
This is a common dilemma. You can pay for it yourself and try based upon your income to get it through the Federal Website.
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
You can get the insurance and he will be required to pay for it.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    You will have to look for insurance for yourself and the children. There are programs for the kids which you should look into.
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    Look into California coverage under the affordable care act.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law | Jeffrey B. Hammerlund
    If he fails to provide an alternate medical insurance program for you in your children you need to file for a rule to show cause in have him held in contempt of court for failing to file a court order.
    Most states have health insurance for these types of issues, contact the welfare department in you'r jurisdiction.
    You should immediately seek to provide medical insurance for yourself and your children, and then take the matter to the court. If he was laid off or otherwise involuntarily lost his job there will be an adjustment in his obligations, potentially including the obligation provide medical insurance. However, until the orders changed he is obligated to follow it. That a practical matter, however, it is necessary that you take action as if there are medical services required for yourself or your children they will be sending you the bill regardless of the judgment of divorce.
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
    You can enroll the children on your employer's health insurance plan if you have one or seek state assistance with AHCCCS. You can then seek to modify child support for any costs you incur related to health insurance, as your ex should not be receiving the credit for it any longer.
    You can get medical insurance yourself or see if you qualify for Medicaid. You could file a motion for contempt, but if he is unable to work and provide insurance, I doubt the court will find him in contempt.
    Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
    Go get a job and get insurance. Easier said than done? Sure. Unfair? Yes. But that's life. Obviously you cannot get insurance from an ex-spouse with no job. If you were married and your husband died you'd make the sacrifices for your children's care. So you're divorced and your ex isn't dead, but he cannot provide insurance now. 'Time to step up to the plate.