How can I prove that my marriage was in good faith for immigration purposes? 5 Answers as of February 02, 2011

I am green card holder. I got my green card in January 2007. It is I-551 card. I got my greencard based on my first marriage. Then I got divorced in 3 years, I have daughter who lives with my X. I am paying child support regularly as well as spousal support. I recently got married in INDIA in December 2010 and I want to sponsor my second wife to USA. I heard I cannot sponsor her as I still have to wait for 5 years as she is my 2nd wife is it true? Someone said I have to prove my first marriage on good faith! I have daughter of course it was good faith! How I can prove It was on good faith? I never did anything wrong or felony! How long it could take her to get into USA if I file for her based on green card? Is it beneficial to apply now or after I become citizen (in Jan 2012).

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You may petition for your second wife immediately. Recently the FB-2a category was close to current so I would recommend this in case it jumps forward again. In any case the first stage is identical to what is required once you become a U.S. citizen so you are getting that stage out of the way. If you become a U.S. citizen before her Priority Date is current you can upgrade the case easily to immediate relative.

For each and every marital filing the burden is on you to prove your current marriage is in good faith. Unless the government determined that your first marriage was fraudulent there is no need to include this evidence but you will be noting the name and date of birth of child. The five year rule you may be thinking of is that you may not file for citizenship until 4 years and 9 months after you became a PR - 90 days before your 5 year anniversary (It would have been 2 years and 9 months if you were still married to a USC).

If we can help you with the permanent residency process for your current wife, contact me for a quote on fees, procedures, and timing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/2/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Go ahead and file for your new wife. You shouldn't have any issue with it based on what you have stated in your email.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/26/2011
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
You will need a lot of the same evidence presented in your original interview. They include: correspondence, bills, tax return, joint ownership documents, bank accounts, pictures, in this child support payment, and most importantly the birth certificate.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/26/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
If your legal permanent residency was granted with a condition then you could become a citizen in three years as opposed to the regular five year limit. You must, however, remove the condition prior to applying. You may file for your current wife as an LPR. However, please file for your citizenship as this will make your wife's adjustment of status have a higher probability of being approved. We help many cases in international countries with these issues.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/25/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Because you divorced your wife one year after her condition is removed, your marriage will be for sure under scrutiny examination. As to how you can prove, it depends on different circumstances. You need a lawyer for sure. Don't risk it. Lots of cases are denied because of poor preparation.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: