How can I prove I entered the country legally? 6 Answers as of May 09, 2011

I entered in 2000 with a visa. I married a USC in 2010. I lost my entry documents. How can I prove I entered the country legally in order to adjust status in the US?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
You can request USCIS to search its records for proof of inspection. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/9/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Try doing a FOIA request with Form G-639. With any luck you can find your I-94 number in one of the documents. If you remember the airline you flew in, the day you 1st landed at a US airport, the airport city, the flight number, the consulate that gave you the visa, the visa number, visa issue date, etc. Otherwise, without the I-94 or the passport itself, you may experience a difficult time proving that you came in with a visa. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/6/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
Apply to INS for duplicate entry documents.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 5/6/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If you were issued an I-94 when you entered you can file Form I-90 to request a duplicate I-94. Also, you can do Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the USCBP for any records they have showing when and where you entered the U.S. If that does not work and you arrived by plane you can try and obtain information from the airline showing you arrived by plane and at which airport.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/6/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Try with a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) with the Department of state. They would have a copy of your visa. It helps to know where / when you applied for the visa. Try FOIA again with CBP- there should be a little print-out indicating how / when entered with most likely a I-94 number. It helps to know the port of entry - the first place where the plane landed in the US and where you presented your passport. A plane ticket, boarding pass or even a luggage tag would help, if you still have any of it. If you entered with a family member, the family member probably has the same date of entry, same place of inspection, and maybe an I-94 number in sequence to yours. With the I-94 number, file I-102, requesting for a duplicate of the I-94. I can take quite a while to get it all. I usually tell my clients to be patient...The above takes a few months.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: