How can I protect this idea? 5 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I have an idea for new Skype service. What steps should be taken to ensure that I get the credit for it? How can I protect this idea? How do I avoid a situation in which, after proposing the idea, they reply by saying that they "had this idea for years," and now they have decided to implement this idea. Thank you in advance.

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Ideas or not the exclusive property of anyone, however, you could contact a patent attorney to discuss the ability to protect an invention with a patent, which may address your needs.
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
Since you are trying to protect your intellectual property (IP), I suggest you contact an IP attorney, and specifically a patent attorney, and ask for a 30 minute consultation. She or he will advise you on the types of protection that you can pursue before floating your idea to would-be buyers.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
File for a patent.
The Law Offices of Mark Trenner
The Law Offices of Mark Trenner | Mark Trenner
The first step is likely going to be a prior art search. While nothing is guaranteed, a good prior art search can give you an idea of what others have already done or might be working on developing (even if they haven't released or started marketing it yet). Work with an experienced patent attorney as early as you can in the process, to guide you through the various options that might be available to you and help keep you from missing important deadlines.
Rhema Law Group
Rhema Law Group | John D. Tran
You need to contact a patent attorney and have them discuss your options in regards to obtaining protection for your idea. It is advisable to always file a patent application first on your invention before you start discussing and promoting your idea publicly.