How can I protect songs that I create from being stolen? 4 Answers as of April 22, 2011

We have some songs that need to be registered before they can get recorded to be played. How can I get this done?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
The best way to register the songs is to use an attorney to register the songs. While the registration process is handled by the government and the forms are publicly available (at, it is often recommended to use an attorney. While the forms do not appear to be difficult to complete, failure to correctly complete the forms can have significant legal consequences, including loss of statutory damages ( which can be up to $150,000 per copyrighted work) or loss of copyright registration. Let me know if we can be of further assistance.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 4/21/2011
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
You should file applications for Copyright Registration with the U.S. Copyright Office to protect the lyrics and the music. You can contact me or another intellectual property attorney to prepare and file the copyright applications on your behalf. [Copyright applications are usually less expensive than patent and trademark applications.]
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2011
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Go to the internet and google us copyright office. Follow directions to register online. It costs approx $40.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 4/21/2011
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
Prepare and submit a copyright application on the melody, lyrics, and any other artistic impression associated with the songs. You can seek self-help on-line (for example, or at the Copyright Office ( Or, contact an IP attorney.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 4/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: