How can I process my wife's expired green card? 4 Answers as of June 06, 2013

My wife has an expired green card and she is currently outside of the USA. I am an American citizen born here, we were married here in the USA too. Please help me if you can.

Walker & Ungo Law Firm
Walker & Ungo Law Firm | Gabriela Ungo
Assuming that she did not abandon her permanent residence status (by residing permanently abroad or staying outside the US for more than 6 months during the last year) she will be able to return to the United States. Her status has not "expired" but the card is. Therefore, she may file an I-90 form extending the validity of the card at the U.S. port of entry. The problem would be, not the US immigration officers at port of entry, but the airline company which is required to check immigration documents as well (if she's flying back to the US). The airline staff may not understand that her status has not expired, just the card. It would also be wise to travel with a copy of you last years tax returnees, which are good evidence that she did not abandon her residency status.
Additional information is needed to assess the matter. How long has your wife been outside the United States?
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
What needs to be done to get your wife back depends on how long she has been outside the US. You should consult with an immigration attorney.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
It all depends on how long and why your wife was outside the US. She might need a returning visitor's visa or might need to apply for green card again or might just need a special document to come back to the US.