How can I prevent my husband from filing for a divorce? 1 Answers as of August 02, 2011

My mother told me my first husband was dead so me and my children dad got married and also on the second marriage license first marriage ended in death. Now after twenty years and I am mentally disabled he wants a divorce, but only have my first marriage on record. I have copies of the second marriage license with a license with a number and my mother told me and friends told me he was dead.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
You cannot prevent your husband from filing for divorce. California is a no fault state so either party can request a divorce. You may request support if you are disabled. Additionally if your first husband did not in fact die, then there could be an issue are to whether the marriage is a valid marriage. In that case your husband may be able to obtain an annulment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: