How can I prevent my husband from deportation? 4 Answers as of August 01, 2011

My husband is a mexican citizan and has been in america for 20+ years. We have 2 kids together and he has 2 children from a previous marriage. We are now married and have been for 2 years now. He has been deported once before and has been told that he can write a forgivness letter and try again for his citizenship. I am not sure how to go about doing this.

If he re-entered after a prior deportation, he must stay outside US for at least 10 years and then apply for a deportation waiver.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
I'm not sure what you mean by a forgiveness letter. If he was deported and entered again illegally there is no way to legalize without leaving the country. Speak with a lawyer. There is no way you can do this on your own.
The deportations make the case very problematic. Depending on the underlying grounds for the deportations, subsequent immigration violations, you can file for him and apply for a waiver, but will need to show an extreme and unusual hardship to a qualifying US relative. Consult with an immigration attorney.
Assuming he is deported and he came back illegally, he is facing very severe consequences. The solution is not as simple as writing a forgiveness request letter. You should contact a lawyer for a face-to-face consultation.