How can I petition for my family to get citizenship? 3 Answers as of June 07, 2011

My father's sister and her husband adopted me when i was 12 and came to the US a week after I turned 17. I became a US citizen 5-6 years later and changed my original last name back, thinking that now that I'm citizen I can bring them here. I did a research online and people said that I can't, but is there anyway I can bring my father here? I really want him here with me and also I have half brothers. We all have the same last name now, can I petition them? Or can I find someone who can help us sponsor them?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
As a child who was adopted into the US and gained USC that way, you cannot petition for your biological parents. I know that's hard but that is the law. So, find some other people who will be able to sponsor them instead. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/7/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Unfortunately if you are adopted and obtained immigration benefits through your adopted family then you have no relationship to your biological family that would allow you to petition for them. Hopefully your father's sister if she is a U.s. citizen filed a petition for your father many years ago if not we can assist you with that (sibling of U.S. citizen FB-4 category). That process is lengthy but it would eventually allow them to come as permanent residents. They may also be able to come in another category but I would need to assess that to advise you properly. We would be happy to assess your case, advise more specifics on the procedures, timing and fees if you want to set up a consultation (in person or by phone) with me as indicated below. We do charge for consultation but the consultation fee is then credited 100% toward the fees for your case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Generally speaking, you cannot file for a biological father after you have received an immigration benefit as an adopted child. The name is not relevant to any petition.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: