How can I patent new products and how much will it cost? 1 Answers as of December 20, 2010

I have several products as a new idea to patent before I sell them. I already draw the new models and I am ready to sell them. How much does each new idea cost, such as, Balloons, Socks, Laundry Baskets, Cellphones and Home Theater Systems? I need an International Patent Lawyer in Houston and I want to know if the first visit is free. Also, do I need to be an American Citizen or just to be Resident is okay? Please, help me to find out the way to sell all these new ideas that people will love to buy. Thank you very much.

Ochoa and Associates
Ochoa and Associates | Susan Ochoa Spiering
You can be your own patent attorney. But be careful with the claims as it is the claims that protect you. I do not recommend it, but you are able to do it for yourself.

That can find Houston patent attorneys through the Houston Intellectual Property Law Association, or through the USPTO attorney listing, and check out attorneys having Houston Tx addresses. There are many.

Costs for patenting, that is having the application drafted and filed for you, and then getting it through the patent office vary greatly and depend on many factors - such as how much experience the patent attorney has, how complex your invention is, etc. You need to call around and get a feel for the costs by talking to various law firms.

You do not need to be an American citizen to file a US patent application.

Selling your ideas is a marketing question and it is best to ask someone who handles marketing and commercialization this one. A patent attorney merely helps you to protect your idea.