How can I overcome my California DUI if I now live in Washington? 10 Answers as of February 29, 2012

I lived and received a dui in California in 8/10. That same month I made my planned move to Washington state. I have been flying from Washington to California to deal with court and DMV. The courts approved an out of state equivalent DUI class. But the California dmv will not accept an out of state dui class. I do not have my Washington Identification card yet but my son as well as I attend school here and have a residence in Washington. How do I overcome the dmv DUI classes in California, how do I get approved for a Washington state driver’s license if the California dmv won’t release my suspension, and how I process sr22 insurance with a vehicle that is still registered in California that will be returned to the bank?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
The DMV will accept an out- of- state affidavit and waive the cal DUI program. It probably can be obtained from the web site. If not call the DMV office in Sacramento.
Wise Law Group
Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
DMV recognizes a one time exemption for out of state residents. I recommend you contact DMV or an attorney who practices DUI/Criminal Law in the County in which you were convicted.
Overcome? With difficulty.

If you have already sought DMV approval of out of state class and been rejected by them, there is little an attorney can do for you other than request an appeal and hearing on that decision. If serious about hiring counsel to do so, feel free to contact me.

No state will issue you a drivers license until and unless CA DMV and court releases you from any suspension[s] imposed.
Ask the CA DMV to send you a list of approved schools in your area of Wash. I have had success with an out-of-state person doing approved online school.
The biggest issue appears to be getting the California DMV to approve the Washington DUI class. There should be several options that will allow you to take a class in Washington and satisfy your California class. Your attorney will be able to assist you with this. You will not get a valid Washington license until California lifts the suspension.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    You apply to DMV for a waiver. If you reside out of state DMV will likely grant you a waiver of attending the program and lift the suspension.
    Hire a DUI/DMV specialist to do a "Termination of Action" with the DMV. If granted, California's DMV will not pursue the class requirement any longer.
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
    To be honest, you need to hire a DUI Attorney in California.

The questions presented can all be taken care of, but the steps are very important. The court approved class only takes care of the terms and conditions set within that court. DMV is a completely different ballgame.

You may contact Mandatory Actions Unit in Sacramento, but be prepared for that call to take a long time. Good DUI Attorneys have people we call within the DMV to expedite the process. This allows you to take care of all the questions presented without actually having to speak with someone from the DMV.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    You can always look into online courses if the DMV in California will accept that. However, you must speak with the dmv about your dui classes and make sure that they accept them.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    Your insurance company should still provide you with an SR-22 2 you need to file a termination of action with dmv this will facilitate releasing your license suspension.