How can I obtain a different visa? 3 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I am in Washington state on my J1 visa - au pair - which is about to expire. I have a job at the horse race track as an exercise rider. I have 7 years of experience and Jockey School. I am from Czech Republic, 22 years old. I would like to switch to h2b visa. I will appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Since you are an Au Pair on a J visa, you are not subject to the 2 year bar nor will you need to file a waiver in order to get another status. So, find competent counsel to prepare your change of status if you meet all the requirements for a H-2B visa. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
One requirement of the J-visa is that you return to your country, unless you have an extension of your J-visa. Changing to other visas is not usually permitted. Are you sure that your current employment at the racetrack (Emerald Downs? near me) is authorized by your J-visa? J-visas are a sub-specialty area within immigration, which is already a specialty legal area. You need to consult an experienced immigration lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/2/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
The company will need to sponsor you for the new visa. If it can get approved prior to expiration of your J1, and you do not have to return to your home country for two years, you can change status. You need to speak with an immigration lawyer because there are a lot of potential roadblocks and getting a work visa is very difficult.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: