How can I obtain a copy of the living trust my mother has set up? 13 Answers as of August 23, 2017

My family has owned a family business for over 25 years. A few years ago, my mother changed the details of the trust and I need to get a copy of the trust. How do I accomplish this?

Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
Send her a letter requesting a copy. Be careful. She could elect to write you out of the trust.
Sorry, you cannot get a copy of the trust. You lack standing to do so.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
Ask your mother.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
If your mother is still alive and serving as trustee, you have no right to see it. If she wants to give it to you, she can. After she is deceased, then you are entitled to see a copy of the provisions of the Trust, as amended, assuming that it is no longer revocable at that time.
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
From your mother or the lawyer who prepared the trust.
    Attorney At Law | James G. Maguire
    The trust is not a public document. You can ask your mother for a copy, but she is not obliged to give it to you.
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    If the trust agreement has been recorded, you can obtain a copy at the county office of the Recorder of Deeds. Other than that, you could simply ask your mother or the attorney who drafted the trust agreement for a copy.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    While your mother is alive the only way is to ask her. After she passes you may demand a copy if you are a beneficiary of the trust.
    Unless the person who set up the trust voluntarily gives you a copy you probably don't have a right to a copy. After all, you don't own the business, what would give you the right to snoop on the owner's estate planning.
    You ask your mother, as you have no legal right to get it without the consent of the trustor or trustee.
    Law Office of Kimberly Fives | Kimberly Fives
    Ask your mother. If she filed a copy with the clerk of the court you should be able to get a copy there.
    You can ask your mother for a copy. If the trust relates to the business, the business office should also have a copy. However, unless you have some sort of claim to the business, such as a partial ownership, you may not be legally entitled to obtain a copy. If you believe your mother was incompetent when she made the changes or that someone coerced her to make changes, you may need to apply to a local court to obtain a copy.
    Skillern Law Firm
    Skillern Law Firm | Penni Skillern
    In Oklahoma, the creator of a trust does not have to give anyone a copy of the trust. Beneficiaries may receive a copy once the creator of the trust (called the Trustor) passes away. However, while she is alive, she can keep it private.