How can I obtain copies of my file and all evidence brought against me? 2 Answers as of April 04, 2017

My public defender told me my alibi didn't matter and hasn't kept in contact with me at all. She hasn't had an investigator investigate anything until now three weeks before my trial. She also had me waive my preliminary by scaring me into it without explaining the benefits it could have or that I could still have a trial. I asked her for my file or to at least see it. She hasn't made any effort to do so. I have never been in trouble and I'm wrongly accused. I thought there was like an ethical code or something they had to follow. This definitely isn't how it's supposed to be, right?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You need to cough up some dough and hire yourself a "real" lawyer. You get what you pay for.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/4/2017
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
I would have the matter calendared and make what is called a Marsiden hearing after a famous case and try to have a new attorney appointed. It does not sound like your PD is doing the job. Be prepared at that hearing at which the DA cannot be present to outline in detail what your attorney has not done that needs to be done.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/4/2017
Click to View More Answers: