How can I move forward in purchasing a home if I am in a middle of a divorce? 9 Answers as of March 25, 2013

I'm in the middle if a divorce however I have a home I purchased before marriage and I'm in the middle of a refinance on my home actually the refinance has been completed and the loan was funded however my husband has not and will not sign the grant deed what will happen now what steps can I take either with the court or my mortgage company to move forward without him.

You can't, in every jurisdiction that I am aware of you can't during the pendency of a divorce increase the debt upon the marital estate, and it is not up to you to determine what is marital or not marital at this point in time, only the court can make that determination.
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
You cannot force your husband to sign anything during a divorce. It is usually not a good idea to do anything during a divorce especially refinance a home. You need a family law attorney if you don't already have one. You are possibly creating a community property asset by mistake by refinancing during your divorce please talk to an attorney immediately.
You will probably need to finalize the divorce so that his signature will not be needed.
In a marital or community property state it is not very easy. Remember that he may have to sign the mortgagewhich just says he agrees to there being a security interest in the propertybut he need not sign the note, which is the promise to pay. That is the most frequent way to deal with this kind of situation. Failing that, you can move the court to order him to sign the mortgage. He'll probably believe the judge, even if he does not believe you.
Go into court requesting an order to have the grant deed executed.
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    There is a standstill order that was issued when divorce was filed. I think you should speak to a lawyer about how you deal with it.
    Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
    If the house is your homestead he will have to sign docs at the closing or you will need some type of court order that waives him signing.
    The Law Office of Erin Farley
    The Law Office of Erin Farley | Erin Farley
    You can request the court issue an order for him to sign or, in the alternative, for the clerk to sign on his behalf. If time sensitive, you will need to request an emergency order - best to have an attorney assist you so that you can present the facts needed to have it granted.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    You can file a motion with the court and request that he be ordered to sign the Deed to complete the transaction.