How can I make sure to get sole custody if I separate from my husband? 4 Answers as of July 20, 2011

My husband has told me that if I decide to leave then my son will have to stay with him. What can I do to ensure my son be able to come with me. I am a fit mother who can support my son with or without my husbands help. Idealy I would like joint custody but i fear that my husband will not let me see my son if and when I leave.

We recommend that you see and retain a divorce lawyer ASAP about all your rights and options and to legitimately develop the facts and evidence as to why you believe it would be in your child's best interests for you to have primary physical custody. Good luck!
Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
There is no legal presumption for custody of one parent over another. A Court decides custody based upon a variety of factors. You are best served by consulting with a divorce lawyer to review your specific situation.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
Custody is a very fact specific determination and you should seek the advice of an attorney regarding your specific situation and now custody might be determined in your case.
Your husband doesn't get to decide. The judge does. Two tips: (1) If you leave, take the child with you. It is harder to regain physical custody than to keep it. (2) Before you leave, get a lawyer, so you present the strongest case you can and have a case in place when you are leaving.