How can I make sure that my citizenship does not get canceled? 6 Answers as of July 25, 2011

I became a US citizen when I was 17 in 2000 when both my parents became citizens. Immigration gave me a passport but had told my parents that when I turned 21 I'd have to go to Immigration to get "officialized" as a citizen. I did not know about this until yesterday. I'm 28 years old and I have a felony on my record from 3 years ago and I'm still on probation until August 3, 2011 (next couple weeks I get off probation). My passport also expired in August of 2010. When I was in county jail for 1 month (3 years ago) they were going to deport me after the 1 month but I told them I am a US Citizen and my parents brought over my passport to INS and they released me. The guy who saw my passport confirmed my citizenship but he termed me as a "ghost" because in the system it doesn't show that I'm a citizen for some reason. He told me that when I get a chance to go to the Immigration center to fix this status so that next time if I ever do get arrested, I won't have to go through the process of almost getting deported. I'm just really scared for my life if there's a possibility that my citizenship is in danger of being revoked/deleted/cancelled or whatever because if I get deported I would be sent to Iran. A country where I know nothing about and know nobody there. Also because my felony was based on a sex crime, I'm scared if I get deported to Iran and the Iranian government finds out, they'd get me the death penalty because in Iran crimes like that are not tolerated if you're not married. I'm really losing sleep over this and any guidance/tips/solutions would be of great help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You have a very complicated case. Please do not wait - go have a full consult with a competent immigration attorney who specializes in criminal and removal cases so you can get a full sense of how to handle your case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/25/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
From what you tell me, you are a US citizen, period. You can at any time apply for a certificate of citizenship (N-600 form ) and document it with DHS.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/23/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
No need to lose sleep as you are a US citizen and the US government cannot deport you. You may file for certificate of citizenship but you are NOT required to do so. Regardless, you are US citizen by operation of law.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/23/2011
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
If you are indeed a citizen no one can take it away. You can apply for certificate of citizenship so that in the CIS database you are recorded there (so to avoid being put into deportation proceedings again).
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/23/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If the Department of State issued you an American passport, you are an American citizen. Even if your US passport expired, you are still an American citizen. Based on the law in 2000, if you had a green card and your parents naturalized before your turned 18, you automatically became an American citizen. Your became an American citizen on that same day your parents naturalized, even before your US passport was processed. You are a "Ghost" because you probably never filed for a certificate of Citizenship. This is in my opinion an unnecessary step, something to make you spend money in USCIS filing fee. The INS / USCIS never got "Official confirmation" that your became a citizen because you never filed the N-600, application for certificate of citizenship. Do not worry. You are OK. Just make sure to renew your US passport when it is about to expire.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/23/2011
    Law Offices of Joel H. Wolff
    Law Offices of Joel H. Wolff | Joel Henry Wolff
    If you are a US Citizen, you are a citizen. If you have a U.S. Passport then you have nothing to worry about (assuming all documents previously presented were legitimate). If USCIS has a problem, copy your expired US Passport and send it to them and put your name, address, DOB and Alien Registration Number on the cover letter. Send the paperwork certified return receipt mailer. Any problems, give me a call.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 7/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: