How can I make sure that the divorce papers will reach my husband? 5 Answers as of July 01, 2015

I am in one state and my husband is in another state. I sent the divorce papers to a p.o. box because I do not have a physical address for him. I sent the papers certified and restricted as I was instructed to do. I have my receipt from the post office showing I paid the extra fee for restricted service. When I received the green card back, his mother had signed for the papers. She is clearly not him. I cannot go any further until he has the papers and he told more over the phone that that is the reason he didn't pick them up. Is there anything I can do since the post office did not do their job? I am trying to raise a two year old on my own and cannot afford to get a lawyer, but I need to be sure the custody issues are taken care of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
In many states, you need to obtain 'personal service' on the person you are suing, including in divorce. That means having a person other than yourself personally deliver the Summons and Complaint to him. Get an additional two authenticated copies of the Summons and Complaint (and any other initial papers you are filing). Call the sheriff of the county where he lives, ask for Civil Process, and ask them how large a check you should send them for personal service on him. You'll need his residence address and his work address. Then send them the two copies with the payment. They will deliver one, and return the other with an affidavit saying they served him a paper identical to the one attached.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/1/2015
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Talk to an attorney. Most attorneys have the means to track down people to a physical address. Then he can be served by a Process Server.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/1/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You would benefit from hiring the services of a process server in the community where your ex lives.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2015
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
Sending papers by mail is insufficient. Hire a process server.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/1/2015
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
As long as you have an address you can have the papers sent to a process server who else personally serve him and testify that he did. A process server is not overly expensive and it is certainly a great way to be sure that he has served the papers.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/30/2015
Click to View More Answers: