How can I make my fiance a citizen so that he can come back and stay? 13 Answers as of June 13, 2012

My fiance is living in Ghana and I am an American Citizen. Where is the best country for us to get married? I want him to come back to the States with me, he wants me to stay there with him. But I have children from a former marriage and cant move to another country. What do we need to do to make him an American Citizen, to be legal in America? How long will it take? How much?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
You can apply for him as a fiance and upon his arrival marry him in the United States. Alternatively you can marry him in Ghana and bring him to the United States as a resident. A fianc? visa will generally get him to the US faster, but then you have to go through a second process for the residence once you marry and he is in the United States. Our office has been handling these types of cases for years. I have been practicing for over 15 years.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/13/2012
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
First you need to resolve where you want to live as you don?t want to spend all the money to apply for his permanent residency and then have him refuse to leave Ghana. He must first be a permanent resident for three years before he will be able to apply for U.S. citizenship. Two options. You can petition for him to come here as a fianc? and then get married in the U.S. within 90 days and then apply for his permanent residency(You must have had at least one face-to-face meeting within the last 2 years.) or you can go to Ghana or a third country and get married and then petition for him to enter the U.S. as a permanent resident If you want to email me at the address below or give me a call to discuss your case I can advise on the process and fees depending on which way you want to proceed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/12/2012
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
The fastest way to get him here is a fiance visa. He would arrive in about 8 months and then you can marry in the US and process his green card here. However, if you marry there, it may be cheaper in the long run.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/7/2012
Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC
Elkhalil Law Firm, LLC | Hassan Elkhalil
1-Marriage in Ghana or the United States. 2-If you file an immediate family petition, consular process, if all is good, it may take about one year. 3-Consult with a lawyer for specific advice, time, and cost.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/7/2012
Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC
Chaudhary Law Office, PLLC | Satveer S. Chaudhary
You can apply for a fiance visa and once approved get married in the U.S. You then apply for his green card. You can get married in Ghana and then come back to the U.S. and apply directly for a green card from there. Both processes will take several months and require a lot of supporting documentation of your relationship. Once the green card is achieved, assuming you both continue to reside together as a married couple, he can apply for citizenship in three years. Fees for attorneys in this situation may range from several hundred to several thousand dollars.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 6/7/2012
    Mayo Mallette PLLC
    Mayo Mallette PLLC | Thomas J. Rosser
    Unless you are planning to reside for a period of time greater than six months with him within the US consular district where he lives in Ghana (to qualify for direct consular processing of the immigrant petition), our recommendation would be for you to plan to file an I-129F Fiance Petition (K-1) with supporting documents at the applicable USCIS Service Center in the US. Once it has been approved (which often can take an indeterminate number of months depending upon the Center's existing workload and backlog) then he may request an appointment with the US Consular Section in Ghana for actual issuance of the K-1 Fiance visa for travel to the US. That particular visa authorizes him to remain in temporary non-immigrant status for a 90-day period during which time he and you will need to complete the actual marriage process and then file for his adjustment to lawful permanent resident based upon his marriage to a US citizen. If you should decide to marry in Ghana instead, then the process entails a filing of a K-3 with USCIS as well as the filing of an I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) through USCIS stateside. The I-129F (K-3) petition packet must include substantiation that the I-130 has already been filed on behalf of the alien spouse and is still pending. The I-130/I-129F (K-3) visa process, like the K-1, is also time-consuming and you should not plan to have your spouse return with you to the United States immediately following your wedding ceremonies abroad. This factor is often determinative for waiting to marry in the US following the completion of a protracted K-1 Fiance visa process since it is often more bearable to wait for petition approval prior to your actual marriage rather than to be separated for an indeterminate time immediately after you have married and legally formed your family unit. Costs, timing issues, and other related matters can be obtained by contacting our offices directly to set up an initial consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 6/7/2012
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    Has your fiance been to the US before? If so, what was the circumstances around his visit? As long as he does not have any inadmissibility issues, you can petition for him after you are legally married. The marriage can take place anywhere as long as it is legal in that jurisdiction. It normally takes about 9-12 months for the paperwork to be processed before he will be scheduled for his immigrant visa interview at the US consulate. Filing and application fees for the government will total $738.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 6/7/2012
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
    Generally, a U.S. Citizen may marry a husband abroad and then apply abroad for "consular processing" to enable him to be able to travel to the U.S. and be a Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card"). An alternative to this is for the couple to file for a fianc? visa to enable the fianc? to enter the U.S. for the purpose of getting married within the required time and then apply for "adjustment of status" to enable him to be a Lawful Permanent Resident. Immigration authorities are inconsistent in the amount of time needed for either of these steps, and other considerations may dictate whether one choice may be more appropriate than the other for a particular couple.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/7/2012
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    There are a couple options for you and your fiance. You can file a fiance visa on his behalf. This requires showing you have a bona fide relationship and intend to marry within 90 days of his entry. Once approved and the visa is issued, your fiance can enter the U.S. You must marry within 90 days. After marriage, he will petition for adjustment of status to a permanent resident. He cannot become a U.S. citizen until he has been a resident for 3 or 5 years depending upon if you remained married. The other option is to marry and petition for him to receive an immigrant visa. It is inadvisable for your fiance to come to the U.S. with the intent to marry and remain in the U.S. You should marry in Ghana and petition for him to receive an immigrant visa. If approved, the visa will be issued and he can join you in the U.S. He will receive a green card after he enters the U.S. He can petition for citizenship the same as stated above. The how long and the how much depend upon many factors. I would need to know more about your fianc?s background and immigration history to address those questions.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/7/2012
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
    Get married and apply for a visa. You must fill out an I-130 and there is a huge fee after 2 years of marriage he gets a green card.
    Answer Applies to: Tennessee
    Replied: 6/7/2012
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    You would first have to marry him, then a petition for his green card would have to be filed, he would have to satisfy the permanent residency requirements, and then file an application for naturalization (which he can do so after 3 years of receiving his green card if his green card issuance is based upon marriage to an US citizen).
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/7/2012
    Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
    First of all, someone would need to petition him for permanent residency. If you plan to marry him, you can petition for a K-visa (fiance visa) for your fiance. Once granted he can come to the U.S. and you can marry him here. You have 90 days after he is admitted into the U.S. in which to get married. After you are married, you can file for an immigrant visa for him. If all goes well, it takes approximately six months to one year before he would get his green card and become a permanent resident. Three years after he receives his green card, and assuming that you are still married, he can apply for citizenship. There is no direct way for an alien to apply for citizenship. There may be other options available to him. However, you would need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who could explain all the options available to you and your fiance.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/7/2012
    Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
    Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
    Where you get married really does not matter for the immigration process since a valid marriage performed anywhere will be recognized as a valid marriage in the US. Wherever you marry, you will not be able to bring him with you to the US right away. You will need to petition for him as your spouse after you marry and the process will take about 9-12 months before he will be able to get an immigrant visa with which to enter the US. Once he enters, he will be a permanent resident (green card holder). Citizenship can only be attained once he has been a permanent resident for at least 3 years (if he is still married to you; 5 if he is no longer married to you). In the alternative, if you really want to marry in the US, you can petition for him as your fiance. It will also take about 9-12 months for him to get a fiance visa. Once he enters the US with that visa, he will have 90 days during which to get married to you. Then, after the marriage, he will be able to apply for a green card on the basis of marriage to a US citizen (you) and that process can all be completed within the US.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/7/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney