How can I locate old immigration records? 4 Answers as of March 13, 2011

How do I gain access to a family member's file/records who is seeking to come back into the U.S. after being deported? I cannot locate the lawyer that represented my family member. How would I proceed to get my family member back here?

What you need to do, first, is get with your family member and get what information you possibly can, beginning with four numbers/names: 1) the full name of the petitioner; 2) the full name of your family member; 3) the A# number of your family number assigned by the USCIS; and 4) the Receipt Number of your family member, also assigned by USCIS. Then, using the family member's name, receipt number and A# number, make a Freedom of Information Request to the USCIS, or the the U.S. State Department. You should get complete information. If you need an attorney's assistance, feel free to call or e-mail me to set up an in-person or phone consultation.
If you are trying to obtain a copy of his immigration court file, you can make a request to the Immigration Court where his case was heard. If you are trying to obtain a copy of his "A" or Immigration file for documents that were filed with the INS or the CIS, you must file a Freedom of Information Act request using Form G-639. You must follow the instructions carefully and it must be signed by the family member.
You should hire a lawyer to do research for you.
You can do a FOIA request to obtain Immigration documents. Contact my office and we can take care of this for you.