How can I locate an attorney who might be retired? 47 Answers as of May 26, 2011

I am trying to locate and contact an attorney who might be retired. How do I get in touch with him or get the file? I am unable to find any contact information for him.

Contact the State Bar of California or Google their website. They should have a record of him.
The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
Contact the Hawaii State Bar Association.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
Harrison & Harrison
Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
Start with the State Bar of Georgia. If he is retired or deceased , theymay have a last known address. That should give you a starting point. If you know where he used to practice, call some of the lawyers in that area. They may have an address or another way to contact the person you are looking for. Lawyers are not required to keepfile forever. The bar has published suggested guidelines about file retention. Depending on the subject and the time that has passed since it was closed, the lawyer's file may no longer exist.
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
You may be able to contact the local bar association to see if they have any information on him. If the attorney in question practiced in Louisiana, you can find contact information for the Louisiana Bar Association online.
The New York Bar Association has the registered office number of every attorney in New York, but if he has given up his office you may have to use an online locater service. The Bar Association does not keep the cell phone of attorneys, but if he was a member of the Assigned Counsel Plan they will have his cell number if it is the same as when he was practicing.
    Write to the state board of professional resp.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    I would contact the Florida Bar, many retired lawyers maintain their bar memberships. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    You should contact the state bar association; depending on how long he has been retired they may be able to help.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    I would contact the State of Illinois bar or the Stae of Illinois Disciplinary and Registry Department to see if the lawyer is still in practice. However, if he is retired, I am not able to answer where to look for this lawyer.
    The Law Offices of Stephen M. Wiles, LLC
    The Law Offices of Stephen M. Wiles, LLC | Stephen M. Wiles
    Hire a private investigator. Deep South Investigations, Inc. is excellent.
    Rice & Co., LPA
    Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
    An attorney who is still licensed to practice in Ohio, or probably even if registered as inactive, can be found using the Ohio Supreme Court website: http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/AttySvcs/AttyReg/Public_AttorneyInformation.asp If an attorney is no longer registered, you will have to look the same way you would to find anyone. My first suggestion would be to try to contact former law partners or attorneys in the attorney's former office. (Your file might even be there with any successor attorney or firm.)
    The best way to locate an attorney who may be retired is to contact the Bar Association in the county in which he practiced and if that doesn't work, then try the Appellate Division in which his office was located. However, depending upon how long its been since you were his client, he may not have your file any longer, but, then again, he may have it.
    The attorney can be reached by checking with the State's licensinbg agency for attorneys. In Minnesota, it can be found at http://www.mncourts.gov/mars/
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
    I would suggest you contact the state bar association. They may be able to assist you.
    I would recommend that you contact either the state bar of Georgia or his local bar association. Good luck!
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    The Utah Bar may have their information. Check utahbar.org.
    First this response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However you can try the local Bar Association in the County where he maintained his practice or you can also try the Office of Court Administration on Beaver Street in Manhattan, they maintain records of practicing and recently retired attorneys. Also there are companies that spe3cialize in locating people. Try to find these companies by searching on Google or Yahoo. If really needed you can also hire a Private investigator if all else fails.
    Go on the internet for www.calbar.ca.gov. There is a section called something like "Attorney Locator" and you can look him up there. Even if he is dead or disbarred the information will be on that site. If you cannot find him call the California State Bar office nearest to you )Sac, LA, SF) and they will help you. Good luck.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    If he is PA attorney, he will be list even if retired on line at the Supreme Court of Pa website.
    Try contacting the state bar. Even if he is retired he is probably still a member, whether active or in-active. Try locating him through the membership directory at the state bar. Best of everything.
    The Umansky Law Firm
    The Umansky Law Firm | William D. Umansky
    Please contact the Florida bar as they may have contact info in their membership records. If not, they may be able to steer you in right direction!
    Contact the State Bar and the county bar where the attorney practiced.Whether he is still practicing or not, the bar should have an address for him.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    Call the Missouri Bar.
    Law Office of Daniel J. Larin
    Law Office of Daniel J. Larin | Daniel Larin
    On line go to the Michigan Bar Member Directory and enter the lawyers name. If he or she is still alive, you will at least get an address.
    Law Offices of H. Frank Rubio
    Law Offices of H. Frank Rubio | Herman Frank Rubio
    You might want to contact the Florida Bar or go on their web site.
    Local bar or state bar. If you can't find him, talk to other local attorneys or judges and ask them. Last option is the American bar. Google him and hope for the best. Private investigators can usually find anyone.
    Kathleen N. Carey Law Offices, PLC
    Kathleen N. Carey Law Offices, PLC | Kathleen N. Carey
    Contact the local state bar, however, if he or she is not practicing, there may not be an address available. The attorney may not be required to maintain a file beyond a certain amount of time depending on the state bar rules or guidelines.
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    I suggest you contact the State Bar in the state where the attorney's office was. If he was licensed in that state they will likely have his current contact information, if he is still alive.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Check with the State Bar website.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney