How can I legally distribute belongings of a deceased person? 1 Answers as of July 20, 2011

My unofficial roommate (as in he is not on the rental agreement) of 1 1/2 year just passed away and all his stuff is now just sitting in the room. His family has been arguing over who gets what and are showing up here and there to pick what they want. My two questions is, what time frame does his family have to clean his belongings out since no one is paying for half the rent and does some of his belongings go to me as possession in nine-tenths of the law?

Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
If he left a will his executor should allocate assets based on his wishes. The estate is probably small so a procedure using affidavits can be used. The property belongs to his heirs so you probably aren't entitled to it. His family should have a reasonable time to collect his property.