How can I legally disown my child? 7 Answers as of June 29, 2013

how i can i legally disown my child to make it where i am no longer her mother and my husband maker her no longer her father. can i hand her to a relative or to adoption? how would i go about either one?

Law Offices of Laurie Peters
Law Offices of Laurie Peters | Laurie Peters
How old is your daughter?
Law Office of Jane E. Ginsburg
Law Office of Jane E. Ginsburg | Jane Ginsburg
At times every parent would like to do just what you are proposing. However, there is no provision for that in the lawwhich is probably good since most of us change our minds. Suggest you and your husband seek out a family therapist to work with you and your child.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You child would have to be adopted by someone, otherwise you are liable for his or her support.
Attorney At Law | Harry D. Roth
If the child is a minor, it cannot be done. You can disinherit but you are still Mom and Dad. Sorry.
Parents can't just "disown" their children. If your daughter is a problem child, she probably would not be a good candidate for an adoption, but you and your husband can contact adoption agencies to investigate the possibility. If your daughter is 12 years old or older, her consent would be required for her to be adopted.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    If you are talking about a minor, the process of putting a child up for adoption is too complicated to explain here.
    You can have the child be adopted. So, if a relative wants to adopt that would be fine or you can turn the child over for third party adoption.