How can I legally deal with my landlord on an issue regarding a defunct roof? Posted on January 18, 2011

We leased a building and 1 monthly rent payment was made and another was due when the roof was discovered to have at least 20 dangerous leaks after a rain. We were to receive 2 months of free rent, but were to pay 1st and last as a security deposit during this period. Our insurance carrier inspected the premises and cancelled our coverage for 20 days until the roof repairs are completed. We are at a stand still and can't collect any revenue during this down time. Our landlord did not disclose the true condition of the building, but called and asked for not only the other half of the deposit, but for the actual 1st months rent payment, citing that we have a lease agreement. We feel the lease has already been broken, but will gladly pay and get caught up, once the repairs are completed and we can resume business. How should we deal with the landlord in this matter?