How can I legalize my boyfriend? 4 Answers as of May 06, 2011

I have been with my boyfriend for 8 years. We have a 6 year old daughter. We haven’t gotten married. We want to know how long the process would be and how much it would cost.ive gotten government help and if that will affect his legalization.

Get married and apply for a visa with an I-130, after two years of marriage he can move to the next step.
One of the ways is to file a petition for him to get his immigrant visa outside the US when the time comes. Forms I-130 and depending on the route you decide to go I-485; I-765; I-864; G-325A; I-693; will need to be filed with supporting documentation. Every lawyer charges what she feels comfortable for her services. For our pricing please contact us outside of this forum. In terms of government help, it will have to depend what kind it was and for what reason. But if you are able to support him with your current job or you can find someone else who is willing to lend his financial backing to him in case you cannot, it will help. That is called a joint-sponsor. I wish you good luck!
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
I can't fully answer your question because I don't have enough details about your loved one's status here. If he entered with a visa, you can file a petition on his behalf and then he can he apply for permanent residence. If not, its more complicated and he may not be able to apply for status here. I suggest that if you are serious about the attempt you contact an experienced immigration attorney in your area.
Once you petition for him he will get work authorization within 90 days, and his green card within 4-6 months. He must have been admitted/ inspected when he entered the U.S. Or be 245(I) eligible.