How can I know if my lawyer is charging me unreasonable fees? 12 Answers as of May 19, 2011

How do I know if the legal fees I am being charged are reasonable?

Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
You can bring the billings to this office and I will be able to determine if the charges are reasonable. I am a Bar Association Fee Arbitrator, and I am very familiar with this issue, and I issue rulings whether or not fees are reasonable when clients and attorneys have formal proceedings regarding this issue.
There is not enough information to provide any advice. One rule, if you think your attorney is not doing a good job hire another one.
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
You should have signed a retainer or engagement agreement before or at the time you retained your attorney. Review your agreement and discuss the fees with your attorney.
You could set a meeting with your lawyer to discuss them. You could contact other lawyers to see what they estimate as total charges for similar services. Stay well.
Ask for an itemized billing and then ask to speak directly to the lawyer to explain anything you don't understand. If you are not satisfied with his explanations, you could consult another attorney. If you decide the fees are completely unreasonable you have the right to file a complaint with the CO Supreme Court agency responsible for attorney discipline.
    Compare your attorney's hourly rate to similar attorneys. Take your bill and discuss your case with another similar attorney so he/she can review the bill and note any red flags.
    Look at your retainer agreement. To be fair you should discuss your concerns with your counsel & ask if there are ways to economize.
    You can arbittate the fees if you believe they are unreasonable at the local Bar Association. Contact your local Bar Association and ask for more information.
    You can consult another Family Law Attorney to review your retainer agreement and your attorney's billings to get an opinion about the reasonableness of your attorney's charges.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    If you have a dispute about fees, contact your local county bar or state bar about a fee arbitration.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    This is a difficult, if not impossible, question to answer without knowing the details of your case and the fees charged.
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
    You could try speaking to some other lawyer in the area. Be aware though, that the as long as an attorney can justify the cost and the fee, most courts will view it as reasonable. If you think you are being gouged, your best bet is to see if you can get a cheaper attorney by shopping around.