How can I keep my daughter's step mom away from me? 3 Answers as of January 23, 2014

My daughter's father recently married and I do not want his wife around me. When I registered my daughter for school, rather than him attending to participate she came with him too. My daughter was sick and I thought I was going to have to take her to the ER for dehydration and my ex and his wife wanted to join. Luckily I did not end up having to take her. I do not mind my daughter being around her step mom. I just don't want her to be around me in any case. I was never married to my daughter's dad and gave him basic custody of 100 days a year. The step mom is now trying to make his schedule of visitation and assigning him 10 to 15 days a month where it should only be 7 days and 2 weeks for vacation. I haven't agreed to the visitation schedules and plan to make adjustments as appropriate. There has been no conflict between the step mom and myself, I just do not want her around me. The father and I had conflicts, which is why I am no longer with him. He continues to provoke me in any way he can knowing I do not want her around me, but he continues to insist.

The best remedy for this situation is to have clear court orders mandating that only the parents communicate with one another about the parenting issues for the child. You both may also benefit from participating in co-parenting counseling in an effort to improve your parenting relationship.
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
If you know that he is enjoying the fact you are bothered to be around the stepmom, why do you allow it to bother you? To an extent, you should attempt to welcome her as it might ease the relationships and minimize conflict for your daughter's sake. However more than that, I think you could end up taking your ex's "joy" away by simply not letting the new wife bother you. There is no way to minimize where she goes as long as they are public settings and you do not have grounds for harassment. Otherwise, new significant others can generally accompany their spouses to school functions etc. A suggestion might be to consider obtaining a parenting coordinator to simply improve the relationship between all of you.
As long as your daughter sees her father, there is nothing you can do to keep her away from you.