How can I help a senior charged with a Shoplifting Third degree? 1 Answers as of July 07, 2011

A relative who IS 63 Was arrested in a store she was #1- (I assume) on probation from shoplifting currently and; #2 not supposed to be in store because of #1; #3 she has a history of this behavior and it is getting bad, although she will never admit it to me, I have witnessed it; #4 when I looked her mug shot up on the Sheriff/Jail website, it said Third degree Theft of Property 3x...why? #5 if she is on probation how did she sign her own bond (what she told me) to get out?? What are the possibilities of her doing jail time? Any suggestions on my trying to reason with her probation officer? I need to be prepared so that I can help her deal with it, she's getting old and I don't understand this behavior at all! Thanks for your help.

Repeated charges of theft of property can and normally result in a sentence of incarceration. The range of punishment for theft of property third (misdemeanor) can be up to one year in jail. If they are on probation they could be incarcerated for the period of the probation and receive a consecutive sentence on the new charge.This senior citizen might should be evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist. The problem could be that they have a mental condition causing them to do this. It might be a good idea to see if they are doing this because they are not able to afford to purchase the items that they are taking. I would think that there has to be a reason for this behavior and the reason might provide a defense along with the means for making sure this does not happen again.