How can I help my son who is addicted to marijuana? 4 Answers as of May 12, 2011

I’m seeking help for my 18-year-old son who is addicted to marijuana. When he doesn’t have the money to get it he flips out and destroys property. I’ve tried everything to get him help but everyone keeps telling me that because he is 18 that if he don’t sign himself in rehab there is nothing they can do. Can you please give me advice on what I can do to help this child before things escalate and get worse? Thank you very much.

The advice you have already obtained is about all you can do. If he is unwilling to get treatment for his addiction you can not force him to. if he gets arrested and prosecuted the court can order that he get treated at a drug facility as part of his sentence.
I suggest he has bigger problems that being "addicted" to marijuana. Most "pot heads" do not become aggressive when they can't get their marijuana. I suggest an "intervention" from a legitimate counselor or counseling service as soon as possible. He may be suffering from some other psychological malady other than simple pot addiction. Good luck.
He needs to understand that using drugs or alcohol can lead to a lifetime addiction that can destroy his life. Although marijuana is less addictive and dangerous than alcohol cocaine, meth, heroin, or other hard drugs, you may want too get him into a drug counseling program. Your health insurance may pay for it or you can try NA which if free.
Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq.
Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq. | William R. Falcone
This sounds like he is addicted to more than marijuana. Sounds like a crack addiction to me. He does needs help. You could try talking to him or his friends. A little investigating. Just be careful as crack addicts turn on family and can be violent as you have described. An attorney can not do much other than possibly help get you appointed as a conservator to handle his affairs then you can have him admitted to rehab.