How can I help my mother Immigrate to the US if I am 20 years old? 4 Answers as of June 08, 2011

How can I, as a U.S. citizen, apply for residency for my mom? I am currently 20 years old and my mom came legally to the US and she overstayed and also had a baby here four years ago. I know the law says I have to be 21 in order to file a petition but what if i can get an affidavit? or can I do something else now so that my mom can adjust her status? Any process will help in order to get her a work permit or something.

I can see how much you want to help your mother. You are a good son/daughter. Please be patient since you are so close to reaching 21 years of age. That is the law as I know it if there is another way, then I will defer to the other attorneys on this forum to help you with that. My recommendation is that you wait until that time comes. Good luck!
You must be 21 to sponsor your mother. If you are a USC, she will then be able to apply for a green card. Make sure to have a full consult with a competent immigration attorney before you file anything for her to ensure that there are no bars or risk factors for her.
The Law Office of David L. Leon
The Law Office of David L. Leon | David L. Leon
You may have a bigger issue, depending on how long your mom was in the USA illegally. Specifically, there can be bars of several years. You can petition for an alien relative, once you become 21. Also, you may be able to get a waiver of the penalty period, if you can show an extreme hardship.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
There is nothing you can do until you are 21.