How can I help my girlfriend get a visa? 6 Answers as of May 04, 2011

I am a permanent resident. My girlfriend is currently living in Colombia. I would like to marry her and get her here in USA. I own a small business here. I wonder if I can get her an H-1B visa? Or can she apply for a tourist visa and come to USA, and then we get married. Which way is better?

You should marry her there and file a petition for her so that she can get her visa in Columbia when the time comes. AS a resident, you will not be able to get her here in the US immediately. Only US citizens can do that. So, if you were a USC and she somehow was able to get a visa and come to the US, then you would be able to file for her and get her green card right away. Otherwise, she will have to wait in the 2A preference until her visa becomes available in Colombia. Good luck!
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
More information is needed about your girlfriend to determine what visa options may be available to her. Consult with an immigration attorney who advise as to the options available and recommend a course of action.
If you are positive you will obtain H1B visa for her, which is to say, your petition has to be complete truthful, it is the best. Otherwise, you should marry and let her wait because otherwise, the wait is too long for her to here legally while waiting. Good luck!
Here is what is the most direct path. If you have been an LPR for at least five years, you are eligible for citizenship. That will take 6-9 months from the time of application. You can file the I-130 petition for your sweetheart, but only once you're married. If you marry first, the time of separation will be significant, upwards of 3-5 years or longer. But get the citizenship, and you may file for her immediately as a fiance visa, then marry, then she can file notice/adjustment to K-3 visa, and she would get her CR-1 residency for two years. If you want the help of an attorney, please feel free to contact me for an appointment for an in-person or phone consultation.
You file an i-130 get her a visa get married stay married for two years.
    You can file a K-1 fiance visa if you dont want to marry or an H-1B (but remember cannot use this until October 1st 2011). Feel free to call my office for a consultation.