How can I help my family stay more than 90 days on her visa? 3 Answers as of August 11, 2011

My sister-in-law was given a ninety day visa to see her mother in CA before she died. She since died, but her sister, has cancer, and she wants to stay and take care of her. In addition, her daughter, is divorcing an abusive husband in CA, so she wants to stay until that is resolved. Her brother is my husband. He is a US citizen now, and we want to do what we can to help. Please advise. She only has sixty days left on her visa.

If she entered on a visa waiver program, she may not extend her stay. Otherwise, she may request an extension of stay.
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
If she entered on a B2 visa, she can file for extension with proof of the reason she needs to stay longer. She may request up to 6 more months.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
It sound like she entered the U.S. under the visa waiver program. She cannot extend her stay if she did and must leave to apply for visa.