How can I help my boyfriend get his green card? 2 Answers as of April 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I are planning to get married in 3 years. I am currently 17 years old and I want to know when I can begin the process. He came to the US illegally since he was 5 and has been here ever since. He has never been deported and has a clean record. What is the process I need to do to help him stay here legally and about how long does it take?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
This has become a common question as of late. First, in order for someone to adjust within the United States, they must have entered the country legally. Your boyfriend, unfortunately, did not enter inspected nor was he admitted according to the description you give. Therefore, he will not be able to adjust inside the U.S. even if he marries you, a U.S. Citizen. He will have to adjust at an embassy or consular outside the U.S. Further, you must be of the age 21 years old in order to sponsor anyone under immigration laws. You have four years to wait until you are eligible to petition anyone for an adjustment of status. Good Luck!
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/28/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
When you are legally able to marry in your state, you can then apply for a green card for your boyfriend. First you need to see if he can do this in the US or out of the US. To do that, you will really need to see a competent immigration attorney for a full consultation. If you can't afford an attorney call the state bar office in your region to ask for a low fee or free consultation. If he needs to leave the US this will trigger a ten year bar and you will need to file a waiver for him to be allowed back in. If however he has 245i protection, was the victim of a crime where he helped the police, or his parents/grandparents might have US citizenship and not know it, then he can remain in the US.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: