How can I help my aunt get child support if she lives in Mexcio? 1 Answers as of June 14, 2011

I live in California & I wanted to know how I can help my aunt to apply for child support when she lives in Mexico. Her husband came here to the states & got into another relationship & has kids with this other women. He has not provided for my aunts kids. She is having a real hard time with her kids because this has hurt the kids emotionally as well. Can I do anything to help her since I am a Citizen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
Your aunt would need to file a request for child support. However if she and the children are residing in Mexico and they resided there during the marriage, the California courts would not have jurisdiction over the support issue. She should consult an attorney in Mexico about the child support laws and request that the support be enforced through Child Support Services in California once she obtains a valid order.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: