How can I give custody to my sister legally? 11 Answers as of January 15, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
File a guardianship.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/15/2014
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
File a petition for custody.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/15/2014
John Russo | John Russo
Since you disclosed so many facts your answer is simple, YOU CAN"T.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/15/2014
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
there is a form in Georgia power of attorney for care of a child
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/15/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Give her a durable power of attorney. However, if there is another parent, the other parent will have the right to custody. In that instance, it may be better to go with a guardianship.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/15/2014
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    There are a number of factors that would be considered here. One would be the the age and responsibility of your sister, are you talking about temporary custody or permanent custody. Is there a father in the picture? Speak with a local custody attorney about this to do it righty.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    Miller Law Firm
    Miller Law Firm | Karen Barbara Miller
    Consent to her having guardianship of your child.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    Paul H. Belanger, P.C. | Paul H. Belanger
    Must file a Motion with Court. Problems with custody to 3rd parties.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    The Law Office of James P Peterson
    The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
    With a court order or on a temporary basis by a power of attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    First, what exactly do you want your sister to do, keep the child for a limited period of time or permanently? Second, what about the other parent. He/she may also have a legal say in this. If your intent is to have your sister care for the child for a limited period of time, you can have a lawyer do a very specific power of attorney. If the intention is long term, your sister can file a third party custody claiming neither you nor the other parent are fit parents.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    She should file for custody at the local county juvenile court. The court will require that notice be given to the child's father of such proceedings.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/15/2014
Click to View More Answers: