How can I get a visitors visa? 4 Answers as of June 02, 2011

I want to invite my sister for a couple of months so that she could spend some time with us in the United States. My sister works in India and is married but her husband will not be traveling with her. She however does not have sufficient funds to cover her trip and most importantly she has no intentions to stay back as she has a job back home and my parents are back there as well. Based on this information would I need to send her the I 134. I would appreciate it if you could shed some light on what kind of documents will be needed for her Visa Application. Many thanks for your advice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
What you may want to do is log on to the pertinent US Consulate in India and look to see what their requirements are for the visitor's visa. Each consular post has its own requirements. She will certainly need to e-file the DS-160 and get a confirmation sheet and then set up an appointment prior to presenting herself at the Consulate. It sounds to me very much like you will have to get her an I-134 +supporting documentation ready as well as an invitation letter. Keep in mind that every visa applicant at a consular post is considered to be an applicant for an immigrant visa. It is up to the applicant to convince the Consular Officer that he/she will only stay in the US temporarily and will travel back to their country of origin. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/2/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
For a visitor's visa, your sister will need to prove to the consular officer that she does not intend to immigrate. This is shown by her ties to India. The best evidence is to show that she has family, work, property and funds, all related to her home country. I would suggest getting a letter to document her work and her approved leave of absence; evidence of her family in India that will not be traveling with her, evidence of any property that she owns and her bank accounts. From the US side, it would be useful to have a letter from you detailing your plans here for her visit, the round-trip airplane tickets or itinerary, and detailed information about any special events she may be attending such as a wedding, family reunion, family vacation, religious holiday, etc. Please see the attached for more details. Please feel free to call me to discuss in more detail.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/1/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
It sounds like she has a good case for a visitor's visa, speak with and retain an immigration attorney to process the application. For a free consultation you can contact my office via the attached link.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/1/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You don't need to file an I-134 for a tourist visa. As long as she has ties to her home country, that her intent is only to stay in the U.S. for a temporary period; this is what the consular officer will be looking at when adjudicating her petition.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: