How can I get two people out of my apartment? 5 Answers as of February 26, 2014

Someone I know came over with her husband and asked if she could sleep over. Then she went to the post office and changed her address to my apartment and will not leave. I have asked her to leave. They are on drugs. I'm in my late 70's and scared she will call the police because I put her thing at the door. The police said I can't put her out because her mail comes here.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Give a written notice to quit and then commence an eviction. Also consider getting a protective order.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/26/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Start eviction proceedings immediately. If the police won't act saying they are acting under color of the law, then you must sue civilly. If you observe illegal drugs at the premises, call the police and have them make an arrest.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/25/2014
Malia Law LLC | Glen P. Malia
If you are located in NY you must give these 2 people a 10 day notice of termination. If they do not move out then you have to start an eviction proceeding after the 10 days are up. If either of these 2 paid any rent, then you must give them a 30 day notice of termination.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/25/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You have to evict her. That means you give her a 30-day notice to quit, and then sue her to leave. Has she or her husband threatened you? IF so, you might be able to get a protection order to get them out. You really need to talk with a local attorney to determine the best way to accomplish what you want.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 2/25/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Get an attorney and evict them.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/25/2014
Click to View More Answers: