How can I get transportation to work after a DUI? 14 Answers as of June 26, 2013

I was charged with a DUI and my drivers license was taken from me. I need a way to get to work, but I cant drive without my license. Is it possible to go to the DMV and get a temporary license until I get my license back?

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
On a first offense you can get a restricted license after the first 30 days of suspension by enrolling in an approved alcohol program.
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
After 30 days of hard suspension, you can apply for a restricted license for a fee of $120, proof of insurance, and enrollment in a court approved alcohol class. This is assuming it is your first DUI.
Yes, as long as you or your attorney requests a hearing and stay within 10 days of arrest, you can drive on a temporary license while the case is pending, and the temporary is just as good as a regular license.
You can apply to DMV for a restricted license allowing driving only to work or school. Do so, and follow their rules.
    San Diego DUI Law Center
    San Diego DUI Law Center | Rick Mueller
    License restriction, duplicate, etc.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    When you were arrested you were given a temporary license that is good for 30 days. Within 10 days after your arrest if you requested a administrative per se hearing from the DMV your license suspension will be stayed (license remains valid) until the conclusion of the DMV process. If you have not requested a DMV hearing and the 30 day temporary license has expired, then you need to enroll in the AB 541 class. When enrolled, you will face a 1 month -no driving- suspension after which you will be eligible for a restricted license (to-from work/during work/to-from DUI class)for 5 months. If you are under 21 and did not request a hearing, then your license will be suspended for 1 year. You need to file the form DS-694 with the DMV to request a critical need license restriction. If this is a second or subsequent DUI, an IID will be required and more time suspended/restricted.
    You were issued a 30-day temporary license when you were released from custody after the initial arrest (or should have been). If you notified the DMV within ten days that you wanted an APS hearing (as you should have), then your driving privilege would extend past thirty days, and at least for some brief period of time past the Hearing date, should you not prevail at that hearing. After that, there is a mandatory 30-day suspension of your driving privilege. There is no exception. After thirty days, upon proof of enrollment in the AB-541 (or another program, if your blood alcohol was over 0.20% or if it was not your first DUI) and proof of an SR-22 insurance certificate, you would be able to obtain a restricted license. The restricted license would specifically enable you to drive to and from work,your DUI class and AA meetings (and Court?). As a practical matter, I have not seen law enforcement attempt to prosecute anyone for driving at any time with a restricted license in over ten years, which attempts were ludicrous and unsuccessful. You can always be on your way to one AA meeting, or another.
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
    Depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to get a restricted drivers license.
    After you have been suspended for 30 days you can go to the DMV and get a "to and from work" and "to and from DUI program". You can only use it for these two purposes.
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
    Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
    If your arrest was within ten days from todays date you can retain a lawyer to demand you have a DMV hearing and you can keep your license and it will be valid pending the DMV hearing outcome. IF it is more than ten days from your arrest and if you did not call the DMV to set up a hearing then your license will be suspended THIRTY DAYS after your arrest, so if you are within 30 days from your arrest you can still legally drive.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    After your arrest, assuming they took your license, they should have given you a pink piece of paper. That is your temporary license and is good for 30 days. You only have 10 days from the date of your arrest to request a hearing with the DMV or your license will automatically be suspended. If your license does get suspended (either because you don't request a hearing, you request one and lose it or you're convicted of DUI in court), you can get a restricted license after 30 days of suspension. 30 days of no driving (or you face a new misdemeanor charge and possible jail time), then with proof of enrollment in a DUI program, current insurance (the filing of an SR-22) and a re-issue fee, you can get a restricted license. That restriction will let you drive to and from work and the alcohol program. You should really contact a local criminal defense attorney to discuss your case. You may have defenses to your DUI and/or the DMV suspension.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    you should have been given a temp thats good for 30 days. after that you will need to find alternative transport. for 30 days then you can get a restricted lic if you are enrolled in a DUI class
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    You should have been given a pink temporary license when you were arrested. Your license remains valid for 30 days after the Arrest if you don't request a hearing with DMV. you only have 10 days from arrest date to request that hearing and fight automatic DMV suspension of your license. Otherwise, DMV suspends automatically.