How can I get title of my car after my chapter 7 bankruptcy? 7 Answers as of April 11, 2011

I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy in June 2010 and surrendered my car. The lender filed a motion for relief in order to pick up the car, but has not done so after all this time. Is there something I can file to get the title to it?

You must ask your attorney you hired. The car is still the banks. Just use the car until they come and get it.
If you lost the car in bankruptcy, you have no legal right to the car. Thus, you cannot get the title unless you buy the car from the owner (the creditor).
Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
You can file a motion to redeem the carget the court to set a very low value, try a $100.00. Then you send them the $100 and they have to send you the title. Sometimes though the creditors who never bother to get the car, come into the court and argue for a higher value. Depends on your judge, what happens then.
Just because they did not come and get it does not mean that it is yours free and clear. You would pick up the tickets on it if you left it in the street illegally because it is registered to you. You could file a motion to redeem it for what ever is it's current value. Filing the motion may cause them to come and get it, but you would have to pay the $260.00 filing fee to reopen the case.
No, you are not entitled to the title since you have not paid the loan and the lender has legal title until you pay off the loan. Just keep driving the car and make sure it is properly insured.
    Law Office of Harry L Styron
    Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
    No there is not. If you haven't made the payments on the car the lender is entitled to it and will continue to hold legal title until paid. The proper thing to do is to get in touch with the lender and make arrangements to surrender the car.
    Law Office of Eric Ridley
    Law Office of Eric Ridley | Eric Ridley
    No. You are not entitled to title on the car. You may want to contact the lender to encourage them to come get the vehicle, however.