How can I get Supplemental Security Income? 12 Answers as of August 07, 2012

I cannot stand for long periods of time and am wondering if I am eligible for SSI.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.
Austin Hirschhorn, P.C. | Austin Hirschhorn
The first step would be to go to a Social Security Office and make an application for SSI benefits. They will tell you what you need to complete the application. If the application is denied you should then contact an attorney that specializes in Social Security Benefit law and consult with him about what you should do.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/7/2012
Reeves Aiken & Hightower | Arthur K. Aiken
You should get an attorney to help you make an SSI claim.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 8/3/2012
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry | Charles R. Perry
You should contact your local Social Security office to obtain information for assistance. You can also look at the Social Security website. You may find the following link useful: Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/1/2012
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
You APPLY at your nearest Social Security Office.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/1/2012
Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
You probably should consult someone experienced in working in this field. One would need to know a lot more to make an assessment.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/1/2012
    Durkin & Graham, P.C.
    Durkin & Graham, P.C. | Joan Durkin
    The Social Security Administration will consider whether you are able to work in any gainful capacity given your age, training and education. I would also suggest that you to apply with DARS to see if they believe that you can be retrained. You can start the process on your own and IF you get denied then that tells us what their denial is based upon and what evidence we need to counter it. To give you a more specific answer I would need your actual diagnosis, age, education, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 7/31/2012
    The Taylor Law Office L.L.C.
    The Taylor Law Office L.L.C. | Ian A. Taylor
    Generally, no one will tell you how or what you can and cannot do in regards to duties. The probate court staff could help you with the filings required by the court. There are a lot of time periods and notices that must be adhered to. Generally, you as PR will be liable if you miss something or if something goes wrong because you were not informed. Liability means that if you are responsible for unnecessary costs or losses to the estate as PR. In some cases bond (insurance) is required to protect against these losses. At any rate, it may be helpful to contact a probate administration attorney to see if you may need help. They can handle your duties and filings and provide some strategy to protect you or the estate. If they don't think you need help they may recommend that you can proceed through the process alone. See Section 62 of the SC Probate Code 62-3-7xx for personal representative duties: (scroll down to 62-3-701, these are general guidelines that can or will be changed by a will or the court) See also 62-3-719 in regards to compensation. You are allowed up to 5% of the value of the probate estate for compensation as PR. Again, this may be different if stipulated by will. The amount would likely have to be approved by the court in a hearing or petition, upon closing the estate. Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 7/31/2012
    Olson Law Firm | Edward M Olson
    You must apply with the Social Security Administration and ask for benefits.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/31/2012
    Higgins Benjamin, PLLC | Jonathan Wall
    If you are talking about disability insurance, I would advised you see an attorney who handles social security disability cases. Often times lining up the information in the best manner first is the best way to qualify, rather than waiting until your application is denied.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 7/31/2012
    KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
    I would suggest that you contact your nearest Social Security office and see if you qualify for either SSI or even disability. Dealing directly with Social Security is your best option.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 7/30/2012
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You will have to retain a lawyer for advise as to such a claim, with will be granted - or denied - at the outset by an administrative law judge following the presentation of your application and case. No guarantees.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/30/2012
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    First you would have to qualify for social security disability. You should consult an attorney specializiing in this area of the law for more information.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/30/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney