How can I get someone to pay for damage to my car if they did not provide insurance information? 2 Answers as of November 27, 2012

I was hit from behind. Below explains how it happened. At an intersection where I needed to make a right turn, I first made a complete stop because signal on my road was red. To make a right turn there, I looked at the left to see if there was no car coming from left. But I could not see it completely because trees and the braches blocked the sight. So I slowly (at about 5 miles per hour) moved forward a little bit to make sure that I can make right turn safely. But with the better view, I saw a car coming very fast from the left. So I stopped again to let the car pass first. Then a car behind me has hit me and damaged my rear bumper cover. As I was not prepared for the hit, my head was thrown at head rest of the seat like a whiplash, and it left a pain on my neck. The driver who hit me from behind said "sorry" and explained that he could not stop because the road was slippery (there were some snow on the road and the road had some down slope). Because damage of my car seemed small, I was in hurry, and the driver admitted the fault and gave me his name, home address, cell phone number and I wrote down his car plate number, I did not call police. I did not get his insurance information, which I should have done. I contacted my insurance company an hour later, and they started contacting him. We called him many times and left many voice messages, but he does not respond. One day he called my insurance company and said that it was my fault. 10 days has passed since the accident, and he still has not provided his insurance information. My insurance company says that if he continues to be uncooperative, they can contact BMV to suspend his driver license. I hope it works. Please advise how I can get his insurance information to fix my car and cover cost that I already paid out of my pocket to visit hospitals. He may not have insurance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Elk & Elk
Elk & Elk | Arthur Elk
First of all you should go to the police department and make out a report. If he does not have insurance, you need to look to your own policy for available coverage. If he continues to ignore your letters and calls, you may be forced to file a lawsuit to get a response.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/25/2011
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Generally, if the other driver remains uncooperative, you may chose to submit the claim through your own insurance carrier and let them worry about pursuing the at-fault-party. You may contact our office at our phone number to schedule an appointment if you have further questions or if you need assistance with this issue. You can also schedule an appointment or obtain additional information at our websites. Thank you.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/27/2012
Click to View More Answers: