How can I get someone to give me all of my house's contents back? 1 Answers as of September 29, 2016

I moved in with someone and had to leave the location and everything I own due to domestic violence. I have a restraining order against this person. Their mother owns the property. She admitted to the police that my furniture and belongings are in a storage unit on the property, but she can't locate the key. She will no longer return calls from the police. There is close to $20,000 worth of furniture and other household items belonging to me and my child, including family heirlooms and religious items. I have been trying to get my things back for almost two years now.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
The situation you describe is a sad one, but very common. You should now bring a "civil" suit against the property owner, and any other individual who might have "control" over your property. Your case relates to matters of "conversion", "bailments", "contracts", as well as other potential causes of action. It is highly recommended that you seek out the assistance of an attorney to recover your goods. You should do so relatively quickly as your jurisdiction might have a "statute of limitations" restriction that will prevent you from trying to recover your goods.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 9/29/2016
Click to View More Answers: