How can I get a shoplifting charge dismissed? 5 Answers as of August 03, 2011

I was arrested after a misunderstanding over a $22 makeup tester eyeliner. I was juggling items in the store, my purse & phone, while wiping off makeup I'd tried on at the counter, and an eye pencil I'd tried ended up in my bag. I had no idea until I left the store and was stopped by loss prevention staff. They claim they have video, and I know this looks bad, but it was an honest error. They accused me of intentional theft, wrote me up in their back ofc and had me arrested. They also tried to make me sign a statement saying I'd intentionally stolen property, but I refused - because I didn't! I'm a law student with a completely clean record - first arrest. I'm graduating May 2012 and taking the NYS bar exam. What are my options to minimize future problems?

This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, you should hire an attorney to try to get the case dismissed and if not then to try to get an ACOD- Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal which means the case will be adjourned for 6 months and if you do not get into trouble during that time, the case will be dismissed.
It's possible that you will be offered an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal. The case gets adjourned for six months or a year and if you are not re-arrested it automatically gets dismissed. Since the amount of the alleged theft is small, I think you have a good chance of getting that kind of offer. Unfortunately, you are going to have to be represented by an attorney. The court will appoint one if you can't afford it. The prosecutor won't deal with you directly. Good luck!
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
As a law student you should know that you need to retain criminal defense counsel. I am a former police officer and also previously worked retail security.
I do not know if you are telling the truth or not since shoplifters often say exactly what you have said. If you were shoplifting and the video clearly shows that is the case then you will be given an ACD dismisssal and it will not effect law school. If you are innocent go to trial. Retain a good criminal lawyer who will charge you $5,000 or more for the jury trial and then you won't have to explain the arrest to the bar association. If you are indigent you will get a public defender. They are sometime good, sometimes mediocre, and sometimes inept and unprepared. With your million dollar career at stake I hope you were not shoplifting and I advise you to get the money some how to retain a very good lawyer in your area. Even an ACD look likes you are a thief that got a break and ll the police and prosecutors will know about it if they run the NYSID computer search on you. Even if you are guilty you will win the trial unless the security officer or camera shows that you were putting it in your purse. If you are a shoplifter you should never be an attorney....once a thief always a thief. If your moral compass is that far off you should never be trusted with peoples money, reputations, and lives. I hope that even if you did make this one mistake...intentionally or not, that you learn from it and be much more careful in the future. Don't juggle your phone and stuff while shopping since there is a possibility you will "accidentally" put an item in your purse. Good luck, if you need a free consultation call me at 917 696 2363. I can most likely get the charge dismissed with an ACD for $1,000...a trial would be around $3,000-$3,500.
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
You need to retain a criminal defense attorney. A good result can be worked out for you at a reasonable price. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense so feel free to check out my web site and contact me.