How can I get rights to my daughter while paying child support? 4 Answers as of July 11, 2013

I've been paying child support for a year and I want rights and visitations to my child who I don't ever get to see. How can I do this?

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
You need to file a Petition with the court to establish your parental rights and get a time-sharing (visitation) schedule set up.
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
You must file through the court if the other spouse will not consent.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
It sounds as if your child support obligation was most likely determined under a Department of Revenue, Child Support Enforcement action. In order to establish parental responsibility (the right to share in decision and information regarding the child) and timesharing (more commonly known as visitation), you will need to file a Petition to Establish Paternity and Related Relief. Even though paternity is not at issue, this is what the action is called, as you were never married to the mother. You should consult an attorney to assist you in the process in order to best protect your right to have equal time and rights with your child. My office offers free initial telephone consultations if you would like to discuss this matter in more detail, as well as explore the potential rights and options available.